Friday 1 February 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR

I have missed you people (assuming there are people that read my scanty blog) Any way internet challenges have prevented me from blogging as actively as i would have liked but I promise to be more faithful in this new year... and as a demonstration of my faith, here is another short story I wrote for another competition, (it would interest you to note I made the final shortlist for the writer's competition.. subsequent post would be more intellectually stimulating I promise... guten tag
 
happy newyear

11:30 pm

I trudge along… no wait, I TRAIPSE (such a fancy word for my awkward gait) along route 6 carrying the weight of my world along. Your first impression is that I am probably not a very enthusiastic or a happy person right? Well you are going to have to wait till the end of my story to make that determination for certain one way or the other albeit I would be the first to admonish you from placing reliance on my mere say so. After all if there is one thing I can say for sure about our sinful world, it is; we all tell LIES

It is rude to not introduce oneself before presuming to impose a story on hapless readers such as yourself... I apologize but I am not sorry. Our relationship will not survive the last full-stop to my story.

You see the dark towering cherry trees that line route 6 to the right?  The view tonight is picturesque. This city has its fair share of virtues and vices… the seedy clubs lining the way to my left with resonating music, lewd drunks and ladies with negotiable morals more germane examples of its vices. It is hard to hear over the din of honks and hurled expletives created by the endless stream of automobiles creating a big traffic hold-up on route 6. Most are on their way to the cathedral for the big “coming into the new year Inter-denominational Service”. It is doubtful most of them will get there in time... this service is my destination too and it is for this reason I am legging it this cold night. This story will be short for in fifteen minutes I will be in the Lord’s domain.

11:45 pm

It is cold out tonight. Hopefully the sporadic clapping our joyful hearts would produce in church will thaw my frozen fingers. It is funny how the need to clap and sing joyfully will mysteriously arise as soon as I get to church even though at this moment, I do not feel very joyful. The rowdy crowds of fun seekers plunging their scarlet souls in deeper sin mill seamlessly all around me adding to the gridlocked traffic and giving the environment a festive aura.

“Uncle good evening…”

“Good evening dear, do I know you?”

“I go do you better, come follow me…”

Yikes! Silly me. I cannot walk away fast enough from her. Get thee behind me, I have a date with my God.

Traffic from route 17 has brought a party and a fight. Angry people everywhere and irritable drivers blaring their horns as if they somehow believe they can create a path if they blew hard enough. An itinerant preacher is going hoarse in his attempt to introduce the sparring duo to Jesus. I negotiate my way so as not to receive a free gift from the brawlers or the encouraging group of spectators like a black eye. I can make out the outline of the cathedral now and my steps become lighter.

11:52 pm

ejo tori olorun, fumi l’owo…”

“…”

“don allah bani kudi”

What a tenacious beggar. He is actually tagging along beside me as I try to pretend he does not exist. It does not work so I fish out a worn #100 note for him. Estatic, he wishes me success in all my endeavors. The high level of security at the church is sad. All kinds of detectors are being used to screen for bombs. The future looks bleak for this country. The pedestrian gate is manned by two uniformed gentlemen who look under the influence of something.

“Wetin you carry Mr. man?”

They greet as I halt before them. Obviously I am empty-handed… Good-naturedly, I flash them what I hope is my best impression of a toothy-grin.

“My Oga’s them,  I hail with respect... how go dey go now?”

“My brother if no be for hunger we for thank God, Since morning we never shop… we dey here dey suffer for una”

I recognize their subtle request and give them the twin to the #100 the obstinate beggar got from me a while ago. The other one collects it and registers his displeasure immediately…

“Ogaaaa oh na boli money u give us so but wetin we go use wash am down?”

Extortionists! I produce a #200 naira note and they unceremoniously shove me in... I look at my knock-off timepiece as I make my way into the… I have just three minutes to the New Year and the service is fever-pitched as it approaches its crescendo…

“AMEN?”

“HALLELUYAAAAAAAH!!!

12: 58 PM

I make my way slowly up the aisle... bodies litter the church in various poses of supplication. Over 7000 people beseeching the lord for varied reasons as I stride forward with purpose… I stop briefly pretending to pray while I ensure my fingers are ready for what is about to come.

 “BRETHREN JOIN ME AND COUNT DOWN THE LAST 10 SECONDS OF THE YEAR”

“TEN…”

“NINE…”

Right now I am so giddy with anticipation I begin to sweat… then I am enveloped by calm so serene it seems almost divine. I start to race forward with purpose…

“FIVE…”

I tear off my tunic and a few wide eyes betray the panic my appearance has caused but it is too late for me… too late for them… too late for everybody. They will speak about this day for a long time to come. They will tell their children and their children’s children. I have finally succeeded at something contrary to what everybody in my past thought…

“TWO”

“ONE”

I feel the plunger in my hand vibrate as I clench it in my fist; I hear the beep as the signal is received kick-starting the chemical process.  I scream as I am blinded by the white flash and deafened as I literally disintegrate as the primed ordinance lashed around my midriff explodes with a resonating boom:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment